Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lefty to take break to be with wife

Phil Mickelson's streak of 61 straight major championships will likely come to an end after this week's U.S. Open as his wife, Amy, will begin treatment for breast cancer next month.

Appearing at Bethpage Black on Wednesday morning for the first time since a practice round last week, Mickelson said he "most likely" would not play the British Open at Turnberry, which will be held July 16-19.
"I'm putting everything I have into this week, because I don't anticipate being able to play for a little while," Mickelson said before a practice round at the site of the 109th U.S. Open. "And the fact that my normal support system, Amy and the kids and so forth, aren't going to make the trip this week ... I'm kind of hoping to have that [same support from the New York fans in 2002] to kind of help me through the week."

No comments: